An Roinn Leanaí agus Gnóthaí ÓigeEstablishment of the Department of Children and Youth Affairs (DCYA)
An Roinn Leanaí agus Gnóthaí Óige a bheas ar Oifig an Aire Leanaí agus Gnóthaí Óige as seo amach. Breis eolais le fáil anseo.
Establishment of the Department of Children and Youth Affairs (DCYA)
Minister Frances Fitzgerald TD, Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, has announced the formal establishment of the Department of Children and Youth Affairs. Minister Fitzgerald said “I am delighted that the Government has taken the decision to establish the Department of Children and Youths Affairs, a decision which highlights its commitment to the youngest members of Irish society. I am honoured to have been chosen to lead this Department”.
The Minister stated that some of the key areas of achievement for the Department of Children and Youth Affairs over the next five years will include:
- Provision of high quality early childhood care and education, including ensuring that the free pre-school year is firmly established as an essential building block of early care and education.
- Strengthened supports for children and young people so that they can fully engage in active learning.
The Minister outlined the five core principles that will underpin the work of the Department of Children and Youth Affairs as:
- Be child and youth centred, with children, young people and families at the heart of its work. Childhood and youth will be respected and valued as important life stages.
- Adopt a holistic approach to all children, their lives and wellbeing, and retain a strong focus on children and families with additional needs.
- Place the five national outcomes for children in Ireland (Agenda for Children’s Services, 2007) at the centre of policy and service delivery.
- Support prevention and early intervention approaches that help children and their families realise their true potential.
Work collaboratively across agencies and departments to improve outcomes for children and young people.
The Minister said “since commencing in my role I have had the opportunity to meet with a variety of individuals and groups representing the interests of children. I have been heartened by their dedication and enthusiasm, and their unstinting commitment to improving the lives of Irish children.”
Department of Children and Youth Affairs – June 2011